Budget-minded travellers will find good deals in Washington, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. Welcoming and countryside, this city also attracts tourists with its bars. Top sights around the area include Washington Old Hall, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art and Gateshead Millennium Bridge.
- You'll find 389 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- The closest major airport is in Newcastle (NCL-Newcastle Intl.), 11.9 mi (19.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Durham (MME-Tees Valley), 27.2 mi (43.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Washington
A couple of favourite places to visit are Washington Old Hall and WWT Washington Wetland Centre. In the area, you'll also find BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art and Gateshead Millennium Bridge.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 9 hotels and other accommodation options to choose from in Washington. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Victoria Inn - This 3-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Holiday Inn Washington - Our customers like the convenient parking and WiFi at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with an in-room sofa bed.
- Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a golf course, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and overall value.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Quayside, 5.6 mi/9 km from the city centre, and Tyne Bridge, which is 5.6 mi (9 km) away.
Dressing for Washington
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 10°C during the day and 2°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 18°C, whilst the average at night is 4°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 20°C with night-time averages of 9°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 15°C and night-time averages of 2°C
- About 547 millimetres of rain falls on Washington each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 19°C, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 2°C