Visiting South Shields
Travellers to South Shields give high marks for the beaches. Tourists can also enjoy the city's parks, temples and art. Top sights around the area include Blue Reef Aquarium, Washington Old Hall and BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art.
- You'll find 442 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- The closest major airport is in Newcastle (NCL-Newcastle Intl.), 12.2 mi (19.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Durham (MME-Tees Valley), 32.5 mi (52.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in South Shields
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Grahams Point, Marsden Rock Bird Reserve and Herd Sand. Additionally, you might want to add Arbeia Roman Fort to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 31 hotels and other accommodation options to pick from in South Shields. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Forest Guest House - Amenities at this 4-star guesthouse include a library and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and beach locale.
- Beechwood Guest House - Our customers like the breakfast and beach locale at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 3-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Elmswood Guest House - Amenities in this 3-star guesthouse include free WiFi and digital TV. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Top places to visit around the area include Blue Reef Aquarium, 3.2 mi/5.2 km from the city centre, and Washington Old Hall, which is 6.7 mi (10.8 km) away.
Getting around South Shields
Head over to Brockley Whins Station to catch the metro. If you'd like to venture out around the area, consider renting a car to take in more sights.
Dressing for South Shields
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 10°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 2°C
- From April to June, the average is 18°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 20°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 15°C as the daytime average and 2°C as the night-time average
- South Shields gets about 547 millimetres of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 19°C, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C