Families will find kid-friendly activities in Durham and visitors are sure to appreciate the museums and natural parks. Welcoming and culturally rich, this riverfront city will also delight visitors with its restaurants, bars, and shopping. Top attractions include Durham Castle and Durham Cathedral.
- There are 26 Durham hotels
- June is the most expensive month to travel here, while March tends to be the cheapest
- Closest major airport is in Newcastle (NCL-Newcastle Intl.), 18.6 mi (29.9 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing around Durham
- Taking an adventure tour is one of the top activities, while Mount Oswald Golf Club, Brancepeth Castle Golf Club, and Quayside are favourite sights to visit
- Well-known for its museums and attractions such as Old Fulling Mill Museum of Archaeology, DLI Museum and Durham Art Gallery, and Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
- Popular attractions include Adventure Valley and Mini Moos Adventure Farm
- Its historic sites and monuments are notable and landmarks to visit include Durham Castle, Durham Cathedral, and Palace Green Library
- The riverfront and parks highlight the natural beauty, and Palace Green, Crook Hall and Gardens, and Durham Botanic Garden are some places worth a visit
- Collegiate life is on display at Durham University
Getting around Durham
Durham has plenty of options for transportation. To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Durham Station.
Staying in Durham
With 26 hotels and other accommodation options to choose from, Durham offers holiday retreats at affordable prices:
- 11 hotels, ranging from GBP 53/night to GBP 147/night
- 5 inns, ranging from GBP 49/night to GBP 103/night
Consider one of these top-rated, larger hotels for your family trip or any other travel plans:
- Radisson BLU Hotel Durham, averaging GBP 183.59/night
- Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, averaging GBP 178.67/night
You might like one of these highly rated smaller hotels or specialty properties for a romantic getaway, a cosy spot, or a boutique stay:
- High View Guest House, averaging GBP 90.79/night
- Moor End House Bed & Breakfast, averaging GBP 131.5/night
High View Guest House, a 2-star favourite with Expedia travellers, has a 4.7 out of 5 user rating. Also highly rated by guests are Moor End House Bed & Breakfast and Radisson BLU Hotel Durham.