Budget-minded travellers will find good deals in Wigan, and many visitors are sure to appreciate the sporting events. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Wigan Pier, DW Stadium and Haydock Park Racecourse.
- There are 14 hotels and other accommodation options in Wigan
- The closest major airport is in Liverpool (LPL-John Lennon), 17.1 mi (27.5 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Manchester (MAN), 19.5 mi (31.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wigan
Cultural venues in the city include Wigan Little Theatre, Museum of Wigan Life and Trencherfield Mill. Other notable sights to explore include Wigan Pier and DW Stadium.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 14 hotels and other accommodation options to select from in Wigan. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express Wigan - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its bar and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- The Wrightington Hotel & Health Club - Our customers like the overall value and WiFi at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Macdonald Kilhey Court - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Wigan include Haydock Park Racecourse. Popular places to visit in the area include Macron Stadium, 4.6 mi/7.4 km from the city centre, and Croxteth Hall and Country Park, which is 12.9 mi (20.8 km) away.
Getting around Wigan
If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Manchester Wigan Wallgate Station, Wigan North Western Station or Manchester Wigan North Western Station. Wigan might not have many public transport options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Wigan
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 10°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 2°C
- From April to June, the average is 18°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 19°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 14°C as the daytime average and 2°C as the night-time average
- About 31 millimetres of rain falls on Wigan each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 18°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C