History buffs will enjoy exploring Stafford, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene and top-notch restaurants. Welcoming and cosy, this city also attracts tourists with its cafes. Around the area, top sights include Alton Towers, Trentham Gardens and Uttoxeter Racecourse.
- There are 44 hotels and other accommodation options in Stafford
- The closest major airport is in Birmingham (BHX), 29.3 mi (47.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in East Midlands (EMA), 32.9 mi (53 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Stafford
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Stafford Castle, Ancient High House, and Izaak Walton Cottage. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Shugborough Hall and Boscobel House.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 44 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Stafford. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Lower Drayton Farm B&B - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a bar, along with WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Offley Grove Farm - Our customers like the breakfast and quiet location at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- The Kings Arms Hotel - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and convenient parking.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Alton Towers, 15.9 mi/25.6 km from the city centre, and Trentham Gardens, which is 11.4 mi (18.4 km) away.
Getting around Stafford
To explore the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Stafford Station or Penkridge Station. Stafford may not have many public transport choices so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Stafford
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 11°C and the night-time average to be 2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 19°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September averages 20°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 14°C during the day and 2°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Stafford is 766 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 19°C, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 2°C