Travellers give high marks for the lively bar scene in Thirsk, which is also known for its cafes. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its parks. Fountains Abbey, Turkish Baths and Health Spa and Lightwater Valley Theme Park are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 32 hotels and other accommodation options in Thirsk
- The closest major airport is in Durham (MME-Tees Valley), 19.6 mi (31.6 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford), 28.5 mi (45.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Thirsk
Cultural venues in the city include World of James Herriot, Zillah Bell Gallery and Thirsk Museum. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the countryside and such places to visit as Yorkshire Moors and Sutton Bank National Park Centre. Additionally, you might want to add Thirsk Birds of Prey Centre to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 32 hotels and other accommodation options to select from in Thirsk. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Newsham Grange Farm Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a spa tub, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and pool.
- The Poplars - Our customers like the breakfast and convenient parking at this guesthouse. Amenities at this 4-star guesthouse include free WiFi and free parking.
- High Paradise Farm - Amenities at this 3-star bed & breakfast include free WiFi and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable beds.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Fountains Abbey, located 13.5 mi (21.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Turkish Baths and Health Spa, which is 18.7 mi (30.1 km) away.
Getting around Thirsk
If you want to explore the larger area, hop on a train at Thirsk Station. Thirsk may not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Thirsk
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 11°C and the night-time average to be 1°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 20°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September averages 22°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 15°C during the day and 1°C at night
- About 19 millimetres of rain falls on Thirsk each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 20°C, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 1°C