History buffs will enjoy exploring Southsea, and visitors give high marks for the seaside and lively bar scene. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its museums and gardens. Around the area, top sights include Gunwharf Quays, Spinnaker Tower and Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
- You'll find 145 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Portsmouth
- The closest major airport is in Southampton (SOU), 17.1 mi (27.6 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Southsea
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Royal Marines Museum, Wedgewood Rooms and Kings Theatre. Attractions like Blue Reef Aquarium and Clarence Pier are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as Southsea Castle.
In Portsmouth, there are 61 hotels and other accommodation options to make planning your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Becketts Southsea - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- Number Four Boutique Hotel - Our customers like the beach locale and convenient parking at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features free WiFi, free parking and a bar.
- The Clarence Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Gunwharf Quays, 1.9 mi/3 km from the heart of the city, and Spinnaker Tower, which is 2.1 mi (3.4 km) away.
Dressing for Southsea
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 12°C during the day and 3°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 21°C, whilst the average at night is 5°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 22°C with night-time averages of 10°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 17°C and night-time averages of 5°C
- Southsea gets about 27 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 21°C, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 4°C