History buffs will enjoy exploring Leiden, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the museums. Tourists who journey to this cultural city can discover its local tours, university setting and entertainment. Keukenhof Gardens, Madurodam and Escher Museum are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 359 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of The Hague
- The closest major airport is in Rotterdam (RTM-Rotterdam The Hague), 14.8 mi (23.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Amsterdam (AMS-Schiphol), 15.4 mi (24.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Leiden
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include National Museum of Ethnology, SieboldHuis and Molenmuseum de Valk. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Waag, Burcht, and Molen de Put. Taking a tour is a top activity, and Old Observatory is one place to visit.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 28 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Leiden. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Ex Libris boutique hotel - Amenities at this 3.5-star hotel include a terrace and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and comfortable beds.
- Steenhof Suites - Our customers like the helpful staff and WiFi at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features a marina, free WiFi and a fitness centre.
- Boutique Hotel d'Oude Morsch - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a marina, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its convenient parking and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Top places to visit around the area include Keukenhof Gardens, located 8.1 mi (13 km) from the city centre, and Madurodam, which is 9.1 mi (14.7 km) away.
Getting around Leiden
If you want to journey outside the city, hop aboard a train from Leiden Central Station, Leiden Lammenschans Station or De Vink Station. Leiden might not have as many public transport options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Leiden
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 10°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 1°C
- From April to June, the average is 20°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 21°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 16°C as the daytime average and 2°C as the night-time average
- Leiden gets about 822 millimetres of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 20°C, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 1°C