Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Nairobi, and visitors give high marks for the safari tours and shopping. This cultural city also attracts tourists with its parks and museums. Top sights in the city include Nairobi National Park, Moi International Sports Centre and Yaya Centre.
- There are 1191 hotels and other accommodation options in Nairobi
- The closest major airport is in Nairobi (WIL-Wilson), 2.2 mi (3.5 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Nairobi (NBO-Jomo Kenyatta Intl.), 8 mi (12.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Nairobi
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Karen Blixen Museum, Kenya National Theatre and Nairobi National Museum. Attractions like Giraffe Centre, David Sheldrick Elephant & Rhino Orphanage and AFEW Giraffe Centre are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Kenyatta Mausoleum, Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages and Teleposta Towers.
In Ongata Rongai, you'll find 1191 accommodation choices and hotels to make it easy to plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Villa Rosa Kempinski - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 4 restaurants, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its central location and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Severine Cottages and Lounge - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean rooms at this tentalow. This 2.5-star tentalow features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi.
- Hemingways Nairobi - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
Other favourite sights in Nairobi include Nairobi National Park, Moi International Sports Centre and Yaya Centre.
Getting around Nairobi
To explore the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Nairobi Station or Syokimau Station. Nairobi might not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Nairobi
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 26°C and the night-time average to be 12°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 24°C during the day and 12°C at night
- July to September averages 24°C during the day and 11°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 24°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Nairobi is 850.60 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 25°C, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 11°C