Budget-minded travellers will find a good deal in Alton, but all guests will undoubtedly appreciate the restaurants and bars. Visitors can also indulge in all the fine qualities that this welcoming, cosy and countryside city has to offer, including its coffeehouses, museums and cheese. A top attraction is Jane Austen's House Museum.
- There are 7 Alton hotels
- June is the most expensive month to travel here, whereas March is the most economical
- Closest major airport is in Southampton (SOU), 20.3 mi (32.7 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing around Alton
- Known for its museums, whereas Curtis Museum, Allen Gallery, and Gilbert White's House and Garden and The Oates are some local cultural sights
- Popular family attractions include Birdworld and Basingstoke Leisure Park
- Notable landmarks include Jane Austen's House Museum, Church of St Lawrence, and Winchester Cathedral
- The natural setting of the countryside is picturesque, and places to visit include Alice Holt Forest, Petersfield Physic Garden, and Frensham Little Pond
Getting around Alton
With so many transport options, getting around Alton is a breeze. To see more of the wider area, hop on a train at Alton Station. You can ride a ferry across the water to see more of the area.
Staying in Alton
Looking for a romantic getaway or boutique stay? You might like these traveler-recommended, small-scale inns and unique hotels:
- Flossie's B&B
- The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes, a favourite with Expedia travellers, has a 4 out of 5 user rating. Also Flossie's B&B has a 4 rating by guests.
Dressing for Alton
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 11°C and the nighttime average to be 1°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 20°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September averages 22°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 16°C during the day and 3°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Alton is 25 millimetres