Visiting Merthyr Tydfil
Visitors can enjoy all that Merthyr Tydfil has to offer including the monuments and mountain views. This city also attracts tourists with its welcoming and secluded setting. Castell Coch (Red Castle), Pen y Fan and Rhondda Valley are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 21 hotels and other accommodation options in Merthyr Tydfil
- The closest major airport is in Cardiff (CWL-Cardiff Intl.), 27 mi (43.4 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Swansea (SWS), 31.8 mi (51.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Merthyr Tydfil
The city's cultural venues include Brecon Mountain Railway and Cyfarthfa Park and Museum. Additionally, you might want to add Joseph Parry's Ironworker's Cottage to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 21 hotels and other accommodation options to choose from in Merthyr Tydfil. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The Mount Pleasant Inn - With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a bar, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its clean and comfortable rooms.
- Llwyn Onn Guest House - Our customers love the clean and comfortable rooms at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with satellite TV.
- Bessemer Hotel - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and overall value.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Castell Coch (Red Castle), located 18.4 mi (29.6 km) from the city centre, and Museum of Welsh Life (Welsh Folk Museum), which is 21.4 mi/34.5 km away.
Getting around Merthyr Tydfil
If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Merthyr Tydfil Station, Pentre-bach Station or Troed-y-Rhiw Station. Merthyr Tydfil may not have many public transport options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Merthyr Tydfil
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 11°C and the night-time average to be 2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 19°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September averages 20°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 16°C during the day and 2°C at night
- About 960.70 millimetres of rain falls on Merthyr Tydfil each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 19°C, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 2°C