Visiting Big Sur
Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Big Sur, and many visitors are sure to appreciate the seaside. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its forests. Top sights in the city include Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and McWay Falls.
- You'll find 454 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Monterey
- The closest major airport is in King City, CA (KIC-Mesa Del Rey), 25.6 mi (41.3 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Monterey, CA (MRY-Monterey Peninsula), 39.1 mi (62.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Big Sur
The city is notable for landmarks like McWay Falls, Point Sur Lighthouse and New Camaldoli Hermitage. The the sea and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and Pfeiffer Beach. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Sand Dollar Beach and Big Sur Station.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 8 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in Big Sur. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort - Adults Only - This 4.5-star resort features 2 outdoor pools, a full-service spa and a restaurant. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and pool.
- Big Sur Lodge - Our customers like the pool and quiet location at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with a private balcony.
A top sight in the surrounding area is Bixby Bridge, 28.3 mi/45.5 km from the centre of the city.
Dressing for Big Sur
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 22°C and the night-time average to be 3°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 29°C during the day and 6°C at night
- July to September averages 30°C during the day and 10°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 29°C during the day and 3°C at night
- Big Sur gets about 294 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and September with an average temperature of 30°C, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 3°C