Visitors to Alkmaar are sure to enjoy the shopping. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cathedral, museums and its breweries. A top sight in the area is NDSM Werf.
- There are 26 hotels and other accommodation options in Alkmaar
- The closest major airport is in Amsterdam (AMS-Schiphol), 22.3 mi (35.9 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Alkmaar
The city's cultural venues include Hollands Kaasmuseum and Stedelijk Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Waag, Vismarkt, and Waagplein. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Cheese Market is a favourite for retail therapy.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 26 hotels and other accommodation options to pick from in Alkmaar. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- College Hotel Alkmaar - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, free WiFi and a bar. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its quiet location and clean, quiet rooms.
- Hotel Stad en Land - Our customers like the convenient parking and helpful staff at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi.
- Grand Hotel Alkmaar - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi and a bar. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and overall value.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include NDSM Werf, 17 mi/27.4 km from the city centre, and IJsselmeer, which is 28.9 mi/46.4 km away.
Getting around Alkmaar
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Alkmaar Station or Alkmaar Noord Station. Alkmaar might not have many public transport choices so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Alkmaar
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 10°C during the day and 0°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 19°C, whilst the average at night is 4°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 20°C with night-time averages of 10°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 15°C and night-time averages of 3°C
- About 29 millimetres of rain falls on Alkmaar each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 19°C, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 1°C