Search Hotels in Volterra
Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
You could be seeing lower prices
History buffs enjoy visiting Volterra though all visitors are sure to find something to appreciate. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments, volcano viewpoints and opera houses. Around the area, top sights include Roman Theatre, Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta and Teatro del Silenzio.
- There are 103 hotels and other accommodation options in Volterra
- The closest major airport is in Pisa (PSA-Galileo Galilei), 31.2 mi (50.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Florence (FLR-Peretola), 32.5 mi (52.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Volterra
Cultural venues in the city include Roman Theatre, Medici Fortress and Etruscan Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Palazzo dei Priori, Porta all'Arco, and Cathedral of Volterra. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Chiesa di Sant'Agostino and Palazzo Incontri Viti.
In San Gimignano, you can choose from 103 hotels and other accommodation choices to make planning your perfect retreat at an affordable rate. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Borgo Pignano - Amenities at this farm house include a full-service spa and free breakfast. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
- Albergo Villa Rioddi - Our customers like the breakfast and pool at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Hotel Volterra In - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta, located 10.1 mi (16.2 km) from the heart of the city, and Abbazia di San Galgano, which is 22.5 mi/36.3 km away.
Getting around Volterra
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Volterra Saline-Pomarance Station. Volterra may not have many public transport options so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Volterra
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 19°C and the night-time average to be 6°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 31°C during the day and 9°C at night
- July to September averages 33°C during the day and 16°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 26°C during the day and 7°C at night
- Volterra gets about 793 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 32°C, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 6°C
Frequently asked questions
Where is the best place to stay in Volterra?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Volterra, will I receive a refund?
What's the best hotel for a family trip to Volterra?
What's the best place to stay for a couple going to Volterra?
What's the best pet-friendly accommodation option in Volterra?
What's the best hotel in Volterra to absorb the local history?
Volterra Hotel Reviews
More trip options
- Hotels in Volterra by Star Rating
- Hotels near Volterra Airports
- Accommodation near Volterra Attractions
- More accommodation types in Volterra
- Choose Your Volterra Hotel Style
- Search Volterra Hotel Brands
- Most Popular Hotels in Volterra
- Hotels Near Volterra, Tuscany
- Hotel Deals in Other Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends