Visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views in Lauterbrunnen, which is also known for its skiing and local tours. The scenic and cosy setting also entices those visiting the city. Around the area, top sights include Trummelbach Falls, Jungfraujoch and Eiger.
- There are 22 hotels and other accommodation options in Lauterbrunnen
- The closest major airport is in Bern (BRN-Belp), 29.2 mi (47 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Sion (SIR), 37.6 mi (60.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Lauterbrunnen
The hiking trails, waterfalls and mountains highlight the city's natural beauty, and Trummelbach Falls, Schilthorn and Lauberhorn are worth a visit. Top activities include skiing and taking a tour, while Isenfluh Cable Car, Allmendhubelbahn and Schilthornbahn Cable Car are favourite sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Valley Museum Lauterbrunnen and Moench.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 22 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Lauterbrunnen. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Edelweiss - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Hotel Oberland - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 2-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Hotel Alpenruh - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its walkable location and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Jungfraujoch, located 5 mi (8 km) from the heart of the city, and Eiger, which is 5.1 mi (8.2 km) away.
Getting around Lauterbrunnen
If you want to journey outside the city, ride aboard a train from Lauterbrunnen Station, Mürren Station or Lauterbrunnen Kleine Scheidegg Station. Lauterbrunnen may not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Lauterbrunnen
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 10°C and the night-time average to be -3°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 21°C during the day and 2°C at night
- July to September averages 23°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 15°C during the day and -2°C at night
- Lauterbrunnen gets about 26 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 22°C, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of -2°C