Visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants in Barnsley, which is also known for its bars and entertainment. Tourists can also enjoy the city's art and museums. Around the area, top sights include National Coal Mining Museum, Magna Science Adventure Centre and Arts Tower.
- There are 10 hotels and other accommodation options in Barnsley
- The closest major airport is in Doncaster (DSA-Robin Hood), 19.9 mi (32.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford), 23.1 mi (37.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Barnsley
Cultural venues in the city include Elsecar Heritage Centre, Barnsley Civic and Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre. The city is notable for landmarks like Cooper Gallery, St Mary's Church and Monk Bretton Priory. The city's natural beauty is on display at Locke Park, Wentworth Castle and Rabbit Ings Country Park.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 10 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Barnsley. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Fairway - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and overall value.
- Holiday Inn Barnsley - Our customers like the breakfast and overall value at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Tankersley Manor - This 4-star hotel features a full-service spa, a restaurant and an indoor pool. Expedia customers like its pool and clean, comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, popular places to see include National Coal Mining Museum, 8.4 mi/13.6 km from the heart of the city, and Magna Science Adventure Centre, which is 10 mi (16.1 km) away.
Getting around Barnsley
If you want to see more of the area, ride aboard a train from Barnsley Station, Dodworth Station or Darton Station. Barnsley might not have many public transport options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Barnsley
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 9°C and the night-time average to be 2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 18°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September averages 19°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 13°C during the day and 2°C at night
- About 578.10 millimetres of rain falls on Barnsley each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 18°C, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 2°C