Families will find kid-friendly activities in Wakefield, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its art and shopping. Top sights in the city include National Coal Mining Museum and Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
- There are 23 hotels and other accommodation options in Wakefield
- The closest major airport is in Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford), 14.5 mi (23.3 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Doncaster (DSA-Robin Hood), 24.2 mi (39 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wakefield
Well known for its art scene, the city's cultural venues include National Coal Mining Museum, Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Hepworth Wakefield. The city is notable for landmarks like Wakefield Cathedral, Sandal Castle and Nostell Priory. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Wakefield Theatre Royal and Wakefield Museum.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 23 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Wakefield. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Waterton Park Hotel - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, an indoor pool and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and breakfast.
- Best Western Wakefield Hotel St Pierre - Our customers like the quiet location and WiFi at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi and free parking.
- Foxwood Guest House - With a stay at this 3-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with memory foam beds. Expedia customers like its quiet location and helpful staff.
Popular places to visit outside the city include Temple Newsam House, 7.2 mi/11.6 km from the city centre, and Townclose Hills Local Nature Reserve, which is 7.4 mi (12 km) away.
Getting around Wakefield
If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Wakefield Westgate Station, Wakefield Kirkgate Station or Sandal & Agbrigg Station. Wakefield may not have many public transport options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Wakefield
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 9°C during the day and 2°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 18°C, whilst the average at night is 4°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 19°C with night-time averages of 8°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 13°C and night-time averages of 2°C
- About 20 millimetres of rain falls on Wakefield each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 18°C, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 2°C