Travellers to Varenna give high marks for the lakeside setting and top-notch restaurants. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cafes, sightseeing tours and museums. Villa Melzi, Villa Carlotta and Villa del Balbianello are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 96 hotels and other accommodation options in Varenna
- The closest major airport is in Lugano (LUG-Agno), 18.1 mi (29.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Bergamo (BGY-Orio Al Serio), 31.1 mi (50.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Varenna
The city's cultural venues include Villa Monastero and Civic Museum of Ornithology and Natural Sciences. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakes and these places to visit: Branch of Lecco, Royal Victoria and Grigna Settentrionale Regional Park. Additionally, you might want to add San Giovanni Battista Church to your agenda.
In Bellagio, there are 96 accommodation choices and hotels to make it easy to plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hotel Villa Cipressi - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Hotel Royal Victoria - Our customers like the bar and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features 2 restaurants, free breakfast and an outdoor pool.
- Hotel Montecodeno - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Villa Melzi, 2.1 mi/3.4 km from the city centre, and Villa Carlotta, which is 3 mi/4.8 km away.
Getting around Varenna
With so many transport options, seeing all of Varenna is a breeze. To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Fiumelatte Station. You can ride a ferry across the water to see more of the region.
Dressing for Varenna
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 14°C and the night-time average to be 0°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 25°C during the day and 7°C at night
- July to September averages 27°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 19°C during the day and 1°C at night
- Varenna gets about 758.50 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 26°C, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 1°C