Families will find kid-friendly activities in Stamford, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants, shopping and lively bar scene. This city also attracts tourists with its cafes, beaches and theatres. Top sights around the area include Chelsea Piers, Capitol Theatre and Westchester County Center.
- There are 79 hotels and other accommodation options in Stamford
- The closest major airport is in White Plains, NY (HPN-Westchester County), 8.6 mi (13.9 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Danbury, CT (DXR-Danbury Municipal), 22.1 mi (35.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Stamford
Well known for its theatres, the city's cultural venues include Stamford Center for the Arts, Curtain Call and Stamford Museum and Nature Center. Favourite family attractions include Chelsea Piers and Norwalk Maritime Aquarium. The city is notable for landmarks like Historic South Norwalk, First Presbyterian Church and Bridgeport Downtown South Historic District.
In Bridgeport, you can choose from 79 hotels and other accommodation choices to make planning your perfect retreat at an affordable rate. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- J House Greenwich - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Residence Inn Stamford Downtown - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. This 3-star hotel in Downtown features free breakfast, an indoor pool and free WiFi.
- Delamar Greenwich Harbor - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
Popular places to see outside the city include Bronx Zoo, located 22.9 mi (36.8 km) from the city centre, and Capitol Theatre, which is 7.6 mi (12.2 km) away.
Getting around Stamford
To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Stamford Transportation Center or Cos Cob Station. Stamford may not have many public transport options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Stamford
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 11°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around -6°C
- From April to June, the average is 27°C during the day and 1°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 28°C during the day and 10°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 19°C as the daytime average and -5°C as the night-time average
- Average annual rainfall for Stamford is 1255 millimetres
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 27°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of -5°C