History buffs will enjoy exploring Newbury, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cathedral, archaeological sites and art. Top sights in the city include Newbury Racecourse and Highclere Castle.
- There are 46 hotels and other accommodation options in Newbury
- The closest major airport is in Oxford (OXF), 29.8 mi (47.9 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Southampton (SOU), 31.2 mi (50.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Newbury
Cultural venues in the city include Watermill Theatre, West Berkshire Museum and Sandham Memorial Chapel. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Highclere Castle, Donnington Castle, and Shaw House. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Newbury Racecourse and Newbury Town Hall.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 46 hotels and other accommodation options to pick from in Newbury. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Bel & The Dragon Kingsclere - This 3.5-star inn features free breakfast, free WiFi and free parking. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its overall value and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- Ye Olde Red Lion - Our customers like the WiFi and clean, quiet rooms at this inn. With a stay at this 4-star inn, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- The Vineyard - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
Top places to visit outside the city include Mapledurham House and Watermill, 13.7 mi/22.1 km from the city centre, and Madejski Stadium, which is 14.8 mi (23.7 km) away.
Getting around Newbury
To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Newbury Station or Newbury Racecourse Station. Newbury may not have many public transport options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Newbury
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 11°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 1°C
- From April to June, the average is 21°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 23°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 16°C as the daytime average and 3°C as the night-time average
- Newbury gets about 31 millimetres of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 22°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C