Visiting La Rochelle
History buffs will enjoy exploring La Rochelle, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its aquarium, local tours and cafes. Top sights in the city include La Rochelle Hotel de Ville, Musee du Nouveau Monde and Musee des Beaux-Arts.
- There are 377 hotels and other accommodation options in La Rochelle
- The closest major airport is in La Rochelle (LRH-La Rochelle - Ile de Re), 2.3 mi (3.8 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in La Rochelle
Cultural venues in the city include Musee du Nouveau Monde, Musee des Beaux-Arts and Aquarium La Rochelle. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Tour St. Nicolas, Tour de la Chaine, and Tour de la Lanterne. The picturesque setting of Minimes Beach and Concurrence Beach exemplify the city's natural beauty.
In Puilboreau, you'll find 377 hotels and other accommodation options so you can easily organise your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Chambres d'Hôtes Eden Ouest - This bed & breakfast in La Rochelle City Centre features free breakfast, free WiFi and a steam room. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast.
- Hôtel La Marine - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. This 2-star hotel in La Rochelle City Centre features free WiFi, concierge services and laundry facilities.
- Hôtel La Fabrique - This 3-star hotel in La Rochelle City Centre features free WiFi, a bar and a 24-hour front desk. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favourite sights in La Rochelle include La Rochelle Hotel de Ville, Vieux Port and Port des Minimes. A popular place to see in the surrounding area is Fort Boyard, 11.5 mi/18.4 km from the city centre.
Getting around La Rochelle
With so many ways to get around, exploring all of La Rochelle is simple. To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from La Rochelle Porte Dauphine Station or La Rochelle Station. You can find out about your options for water transport at the port.
Dressing for La Rochelle
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 14°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 4°C
- From April to June, the average is 23°C during the day and 7°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 25°C during the day and 13°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 20°C as the daytime average and 5°C as the night-time average
- About 33 millimetres of rain falls on La Rochelle each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 24°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 4°C