Families will find kid-friendly activities in Yonkers, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and top-notch restaurants. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its entertainment. Top sights in the city include Empire City Casino and Yonkers Raceway.
- You'll find 74 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of White Plains
- The closest major airport is in New York, NY (LGA-LaGuardia), 11.9 mi (19.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Teterboro, NJ (TEB), 12.1 mi (19.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Yonkers
Cultural venues in the city include Hudson River Museum, Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site and Science Barge. The city's natural beauty is on display at Van Cortlandt Park, Tibbetts Brook Park and Untermyer Gardens Conservancy. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Westchester's Ridge Hill is a favourite for retail therapy.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 8 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Yonkers. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers - Westchester - Guests who stay at this 2.5-star hotel in Northeast Yonkers can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its overall value and convenient parking.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Yonkers Westchester County - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. This 3-star hotel in Northwest Yonkers features free breakfast, an indoor pool and free WiFi.
- Hyatt Place New York/Yonkers - This 3-star hotel in Southeast Yonkers features free breakfast, a restaurant and an indoor pool. Expedia customers like its overall value and central location.
Other top sights in Yonkers include Empire City Casino and Yonkers Raceway. In the surrounding area, popular places to visit include Bronx Zoo, located 7 mi (11.3 km) from the heart of the city, and Yankee Stadium, which is 8.6 mi/13.9 km away.
Getting around Yonkers
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Yonkers Station. Yonkers may not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Yonkers
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 13°C during the day and -3°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 29°C, whilst the average at night is 4°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 30°C with night-time averages of 14°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of -2°C
- Yonkers gets about 1136 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 29°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging -2°C