Visiting Hoy Island
Visitors can enjoy all that Hoy Island has to offer including the seaside, parks and monuments. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its museums. A top sight in the area is Skara Brae.
- There are 91 hotels and other accommodation options in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Kirkwall (KOI), 15.5 mi (25 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Wick (WIC), 28.4 mi (45.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Hoy Island
Notable city landmarks like Dwarfie Stane and Hackness Martello Tower might be worth a visit. The city's natural beauty is on display at Old Man of Hoy, St. John's Head and Ward Hill. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Scapa Flow Visitor Centre and Mainland.
As you start planning for your getaway to Hoy Island, you might not find the perfect accommodation in the heart of the city, but you can select from 91 hotels and other lodging options within the larger area. Below are places to stay in the surrounding area:
- Muthu Royal Thurso Hotel is located 19.5 mi (31.4 km) from the heart of Hoy Island. This 3-star hotel in Thurso features a restaurant, free parking and a bar. Our customers like its dining options and bar.
- The Ferry Inn and Royal Hotel Stromness is 7.9 mi (12.8 km) from central Hoy Island. This 3-star hotel in Stromness features 2 restaurants, free breakfast and free WiFi. Our customers like its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- The Ayre Hotel is 14.9 mi (24 km) from the centre of Hoy Island. This 3-star hotel in Kirkwall features a restaurant, free WiFi and free parking.
One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is Skara Brae, located 13.9 mi (22.4 km) from the city centre.
Dressing for Hoy Island
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 8°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 2°C
- From April to June, the average is 15°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 16°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 12°C as the daytime average and 2°C as the night-time average
- About 27 millimetres of rain falls on Hoy Island each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 15°C, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 2°C