Visitors to Kirkwall are sure to enjoy the bars. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cathedral, monuments and museums. A top sight in the area is Skara Brae.
- There are 19 hotels and other accommodation options in Kirkwall
- The closest major airport is in Kirkwall (KOI), 2.8 mi (4.5 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Kirkwall
The city's cultural venues include Orkney Museum and Orkney Wireless Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like St. Magnus Cathedral, Bishop's Palace and Earl's Palace. Additionally, you might want to add Mainland to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 19 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Kirkwall. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Albert Hotel - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
- The Shore - Our customers like the dining options and bar at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- St Ola Hotel - This 3-star guesthouse features a restaurant, free WiFi and 2 bars. Expedia customers like its bar and overall value.
One of the top places to see outside the city is Skara Brae, located 14.4 mi (23.1 km) from the city centre.
Dressing for Kirkwall
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 8°C and the night-time average to be 2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 15°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September averages 16°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 12°C during the day and 2°C at night
- Kirkwall gets about 27 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 15°C, while the coldest months are February and March with an average of 2°C