Families will find kid-friendly activities in Dunkirk, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its university setting, lakeside setting and shopping. A top sight in the city is Lake Erie.
- There are 36 hotels and other accommodation options in Dunkirk
- The closest major airport is in Jamestown, NY (JHW-Chautauqua County), 23.3 mi (37.4 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Buffalo, NY (BUF-Buffalo Niagara Intl.), 43.6 mi (70.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Dunkirk
Cultural venues in the city include Dunkirk Historical Museum, Fredonia Opera House and Darwin R. Barker Historical Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Lily Dale Spiritual Center, Dunkirk Lighthouse and Veterans Park Museum and Graycliff Conservancy. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakes and such places to visit as Lake Erie and Evangola State Park.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 36 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Dunkirk. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Quality Inn - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour fitness centre, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its overall value and helpful staff.
- Clarion Hotel & Conference Center - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Theater Motel - With a stay at this 2-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a 24-hour front desk, along with an in-room fridge. Expedia customers like its overall value and quiet location.
One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is Chautauqua Institution, located 20.2 mi (32.4 km) from the city centre.
Dressing for Dunkirk
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 9°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around -7°C
- From April to June, the average is 26°C during the day and 0°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 27°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 19°C as the daytime average and -6°C as the night-time average
- Average annual rainfall for Dunkirk is 963 millimetres
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 26°C, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of -7°C