Visiting Whitsunday Island
Visitors can enjoy all that Whitsunday Island has to offer including the beaches, sporting events and local tours. Around the area, top sights include Whitehaven Beach, Catseye Beach and Hamilton Island Marina.
- There are 457 hotels and other accommodation options in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Hamilton Island, QLD (HTI-Great Barrier Reef), 6.9 mi (11.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Proserpine, QLD (PPP-Whitsunday Coast), 32.3 mi (51.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Whitsunday Island
The picturesque setting of Whitehaven Beach and Coral Sea exemplify the city's natural beauty. In the area, you'll also find Catseye Beach and Hamilton Island Marina.
As you start planning your visit to Whitsunday Island, the best accommodation may not be in the heart of the city but there are 206 hotels and lodging options locally. Listed here are places to stay in the region:
- Airlie Beach Hotel is located 17 mi (27.4 km) from the heart of Whitsunday Island. This 3.5-star hotel in Airlie Beach features a restaurant, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. Our customers like its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Reef View Hotel is 6.5 mi (10.4 km) from central Whitsunday Island. This 4-star hotel in Hamilton Island features a full-service spa, a restaurant and an outdoor pool. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Whitsunday Apartments is 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from the centre of Whitsunday Island. This 4-star apartment in Hamilton Island features an outdoor pool, free WiFi and free parking. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and comfortable, quiet rooms.
A top sight in the surrounding area is Airlie Beach Lagoon, located 17.3 mi (27.8 km) from the centre of the city.
Dressing for Whitsunday Island
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 31°C during the day and 21°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 29°C, whilst the average at night is 13°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 27°C with night-time averages of 13°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 31°C and night-time averages of 18°C
- Whitsunday Island gets about 1281.00 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually December and January are the hottest months with an average of 30°C, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 14°C