Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Meal plans available
You could be seeing lower prices
Reviewed on 16 Jan 2021
Travellers to Tempe give high marks for the fun sporting events, university vibe and shopping. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its lakeside setting and live music. Top sights in the city include Sun Devil Stadium, Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium and Arizona Mills Mall.
- You'll find 4988 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Phoenix
- The closest major airport is in Phoenix, AZ (PHX-Sky Harbor Intl.), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Mesa, AZ (MSC-Falcon Field Municipal), 12.4 mi (19.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Tempe
Well known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium, Arizona State University Museum of Anthropology and Mars Space Flight Facility. Attractions like Big Surf, LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona and Sea Life Aquarium are fun for kids of all ages. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakes and such places to visit as Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake.
Other favourite sights in Tempe include Sun Devil Stadium, Arizona Mills Mall and Mill Avenue District. Popular places to visit in the area include Phoenix Zoo, located 2 mi (3.2 km) from the city centre, and Desert Botanical Garden, which is 2.7 mi (4.3 km) away.
Getting around Tempe
You can take advantage of metro transport at Mill Ave - Third Street Station, Tempe Transportation Center and Veterans Way - College Station. If you'd like to explore around the area, consider renting a car to take in more sights.
Dressing for Tempe
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 27°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 7°C
- From April to June, the average is 41°C during the day and 14°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 42°C during the day and 22°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 35°C as the daytime average and 7°C as the night-time average
- About 190 millimetres of rain falls on Tempe each year
- July and June are usually the hottest months averaging 41°C, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 8°C
Frequently asked questions
Where is the best place for a stay in Tempe?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Tempe, will I receive a refund?
What's the best budget-friendly accommodation in Tempe?
What's the best place to stay for a family holiday in Tempe?
What's the best hotel for couples in Tempe?
What's the best pet-friendly accommodation option in Tempe?
What's the best accommodation option to stay near the beach in Tempe?
What's the best boutique-style hotel in Tempe?
What's the best golf hotel in Tempe?
What are some accommodation options with pools in Tempe?
Tempe Hotel Reviews
More trip options
- Hotels in Tempe by Star Rating
- Hotels near Tempe Airports
- Areas of Tempe
- Accommodation near Tempe Attractions
- More accommodation types in Tempe
- Choose Your Tempe Hotel Style
- Search Tempe Hotel Brands
- Most Popular Hotels in Tempe
- Hotels Near Tempe, Phoenix
- Hotel Deals in Other Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends