Travellers give high marks for the top-notch restaurants in Portland, which is also known for its bars. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its university setting. Top sights in the city include Portland Bill Lighthouse, Weymouth Bay and Chesil Beach.
- There are 23 hotels and other accommodation options in Portland
- The closest major airport is in Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.), 31 mi (49.9 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Portland
The city's cultural venues include Portland Museum and Royal Manor Theatre. The city is notable for landmarks like Portland Bill Lighthouse, Portland Castle and The Olympic Rings Stone Sculpture. The city's natural beauty is on display at Weymouth Bay, Chesil Beach and Portland Bill.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 23 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Portland. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Beach House B&B - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a bar, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Heights Hotel - Our customers like the convenient parking and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- The Aqua - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and breakfast.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Weymouth Beach, located 4.6 mi (7.5 km) from the city centre, and Durdle Door, which is 8.8 mi/14.2 km away.
Dressing for Portland
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 12°C and the night-time average to be 1°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 21°C during the day and 4°C at night
- July to September averages 22°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 16°C during the day and 3°C at night
- About 26 millimetres of rain falls on Portland each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 21°C, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 2°C