Families will find kid-friendly activities in Townsville, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its parks. A top sight in the city is Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal.
- There are 480 hotels and other accommodation options in Townsville
- The closest major airport is in Townsville, QLD (TSV), 3.1 mi (4.9 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Palm Island, QLD (PMK), 38.2 mi (61.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Townsville
Cultural venues in the city include Museum of Tropical Queensland, Perc Tucker Regional Gallery and Maritime Museum of Townsville. Families come for attractions such as Billabong Sanctuary, ReefHQ Aquarium and Australian Institute of Marine Science. The city is notable for landmarks like Catholic Diocese of Townsville, Mount Stuart and Cultural Centre Townsville.
In The Strand, you can choose from 480 accommodation choices and hotels to make planning easier for your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Castle Crest Motel - With a stay at this 3-star motel, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its overall value and convenient parking.
- Cstay - Our customers like the beach locale and clean, quiet rooms at this hostel. This 2-star hostel features an outdoor pool, free WiFi and laundry facilities.
- The Colonial Rose Motel - This 3.5-star motel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Townsville include Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal.
Getting around Townsville
If you want to see more of the area, ride aboard a train from Townsville Station, Ayr Station or Home Hill Station. Townsville may not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Townsville
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 31°C during the day and 22°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 30°C, whilst the average at night is 14°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 29°C with night-time averages of 14°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 31°C and night-time averages of 19°C
- About 1037.60 millimetres of rain falls on Townsville each year
- Usually December and January are the hottest months with an average of 31°C, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 15°C