History buffs will enjoy exploring Thessaloniki, and visitors give high marks for the abundant cafes and seaside. Cultural and urban, this city attracts tourists with its museums and churches. Top sights in the city include OTE Tower, Museum of Byzantine Culture and White Tower of Thessaloniki.
- There are 253 hotels and other accommodation options in Thessaloniki
- The closest major airport is in Thessaloniki (SKG-Macedonia), 7.2 mi (11.6 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Thessaloniki
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Museum of Byzantine Culture, Thessaloniki Concert Hall and Rotònta - Roman Temple. Its historic sites and churches are notable and landmarks include OTE Tower, White Tower of Thessaloniki and Arch of Galerius. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the the sea and Alexander the Great Garden.
In Ampelokipoi-Menemeni, there are 253 hotels and other accommodation options so you can easily plan your perfect retreat at an affordable rate. Here are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Excelsior Hotel - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Thessaloniki City Centre can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and central location.
- Makedonia Palace - Our customers like the beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Thessaloniki City Centre can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and free breakfast, along with free WiFi.
- Daios Luxury Living - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Thessaloniki City Centre can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with a free stocked minibar. Expedia customers like its bar and breakfast.
Other favourite sights in Thessaloniki include Tomb of Galerius, Church of Hagia Sophia and Aristotelous Square.
Getting around Thessaloniki
If you want to venture outside the area, hop aboard a train at Thessaloniki Railway Station. Thessaloniki might not have as many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Thessaloniki
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 17°C during the day and 1°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 30°C, whilst the average at night is 7°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 31°C with night-time averages of 14°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 25°C and night-time averages of 2°C
- Average annual rainfall for Thessaloniki is 470 millimetres
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 31°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 2°C