Visiting La Fortuna
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring La Fortuna, and visitors give high marks for the volcano viewpoints. Top sights in the city include Arenal Volcano National Park, Kalambu Hot Springs and La Fortuna Waterfall.
- There are 247 hotels and other accommodation options in La Fortuna
- The closest major airport is in La Fortuna (FON-Arenal), 1.1 mi (1.8 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in San Jose (SJO-Juan Santamaria Intl.), 44.4 mi (71.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in La Fortuna
Attractions like Kalambu Hot Springs, Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges Park and Costa Rica Sky Adventures are fun for kids of all ages. The volcanoes, hot springs and rainforest highlight the city's natural beauty, and Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna Waterfall and Arenal Volcano are worth a visit. Ziplining, hiking and bird watching are top activities, while sights to visit include Costa Rica Chocolate Tour.
In Arenal Hot Springs, you can choose from 247 hotels and other accommodation choices to make planning easier for your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Nayara Springs - Adults only - This 5-star hotel features 2 outdoor pools, a full-service spa and free breakfast. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and pool.
- Hotel El Silencio del Campo - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 2 outdoor pools and free breakfast, along with free WiFi.
- The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort - This 4.5-star hotel features 3 outdoor pools, a full-service spa and 3 restaurants. Expedia customers like its overall value and convenient parking.
Other top sights in La Fortuna include Lake Arenal. Top places to visit outside the city include Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve, 15.5 mi/24.9 km from the heart of the city, and Tenorio Volcano National Park, which is 26.1 mi (42.1 km) away.
Dressing for La Fortuna
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 28°C during the day and 16°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 29°C, whilst the average at night is 18°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 27°C with night-time averages of 17°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 27°C and night-time averages of 16°C
- La Fortuna gets about 1848 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually April and May are the hottest months with an average of 28°C, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 16°C