Visitors to Essex are sure to enjoy the bars. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its waterfront. Top sights around the area include Essex Steam Train and Ocean Beach Park.
- You'll find 95 Expedia hotels and other accommodation options in the larger area of Old Saybrook
- The closest major airport is in New London, CT (GON-Groton - New London), 18.4 mi (29.6 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Fishers Island, NY (FID-Elizabeth Field), 20.4 mi (32.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Essex
Favourite places to visit in the city include Essex Steam Train, Essex Library and Essex Island Marina. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Pratt House and Connecticut River Museum.
As you plan your holiday to Essex, the best accommodation may not be in the city centre but you'll find 108 hotels and lodging options locally. Here are places to stay in the area:
- The Griswold Inn is located 0.7 mi (1.1 km) from the heart of Essex. Guests who stay at this 3-star inn in Essex can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Mohegan Sun is 18.6 mi (29.9 km) from central Essex. This 4.5-star resort in Montville features a full-service spa, a golf course and a casino. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and beach locale.
A popular place to see in the surrounding area is Ocean Beach Park, located 15.9 mi (25.6 km) from the city centre.
Dressing for Essex
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 12°C and the night-time average to be -6°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 29°C during the day and 2°C at night
- July to September averages 30°C during the day and 9°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 20°C during the day and -6°C at night
- About 1299.50 millimetres of rain falls on Essex each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 28°C, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of -5°C