Visiting Dar es Salaam
Visitors to Dar es Salaam are sure to enjoy the port. Tourists can also enjoy the city's seafood restaurants, monuments and its breweries.
- There are 227 hotels and other accommodation options in Dar es Salaam
- The closest major airport is in Dar es Salaam (DAR-Julius Nyerere Intl.), 6.1 mi (9.8 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Zanzibar (ZNZ-Zanzibar Intl.), 41.9 mi (67.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Dar es Salaam
Cultural venues in the city include National Museum of Tanzania, Makumbusho Village and Little Theatre. The city is notable for landmarks like Uhuru Monument, St Joseph's Cathedral and Atiman House. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the the sea and such places to visit as Pugu Hills Nature Centre and Dar es Salaam Botanical Gardens.
In Kutani, there are 227 hotels and other accommodation options to make planning your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Amani Beach - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a private beach and 2 restaurants, along with a private patio. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its beach locale and pool.
- Hyatt Regency Dar Es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro - Our customers like the breakfast and beach locale at this hotel. This 5-star hotel in Kivukoni features a full-service spa, a casino and 2 restaurants.
- Dar Es Salaam Serena Hotel - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Kivukoni can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
One of the popular sights outside the city is Kwale Island, located 30.6 mi (49.3 km) from the city centre.
Getting around Dar es Salaam
With so many transport options, exploring all of Dar es Salaam is a breeze. If you want to venture outside the area, hop aboard a train at Dar Es Salaam Central Station. You can ride a ferry across the water to see more of the region.
Dressing for Dar es Salaam
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 31°C and the night-time average to be 23°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 30°C during the day and 19°C at night
- July to September averages 28°C during the day and 19°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 31°C during the day and 20°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Dar es Salaam is 909.30 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually March and February with an average temperature of 31°C, while the coldest months are September and August with an average of 19°C