History buffs will enjoy exploring Taos, and visitors give high marks for the renowned art, ski areas and fascinating museums. This city also attracts tourists with its local tours, shopping and mountain views. Top sights in the city include Taos Ski Valley, Red River Ski Area and Sipapu Ski Area.
- There are 856 hotels and other accommodation options in Taos
- The closest major airport is in Taos, NM (TSM-Taos Regional), 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Los Alamos, NM (LAM-Los Alamos County), 53.4 mi (85.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Taos
The city is well known for its art and museums, and cultural venues include Taos Center for the Arts, Navajo Gallery and Taos Plaza Theater and Arts Center. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Taos Plaza, Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, and Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The hiking trails and mountains highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Carson National Forest, Kit Carson Park and Williams Lake.
In Angel Fire, you'll find 856 accommodation choices and hotels so you can easily organise your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Dreamcatcher Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and central location.
- The Blake at Taos Ski Valley - Our customers like the dining options and helpful staff at this resort. This 4-star resort features ski slopes, a restaurant and an outdoor pool.
- El Pueblo Lodge - With a stay at this 2-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Other favourite sights in Taos include Taos Ski Valley, Red River Ski Area and Sipapu Ski Area.
Dressing for Taos
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 15°C during the day and -12°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 30°C, whilst the average at night is -3°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 31°C with night-time averages of 3°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of -12°C
- Average annual rainfall for Taos is 324 millimetres
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 30°C, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging -11°C