Visitors to Sandakan are sure to enjoy the rainforests, seaside and temples. Welcoming and walkable, this city also attracts tourists with its local tours. A top sight in the city is Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary.
- There are 43 hotels and other accommodation options in Sandakan
- The closest major airport is in Sandakan (SDK), 5.8 mi (9.3 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Sandakan
Attractions like Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary and Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for its temples and landmarks like Borneo Sun Bear Conservation Centre, Sandakan Memorial Park, and Puu Jih Shih Temple. The rainforest, forests and the sea highlight the city's natural beauty, and Rainforest Discovery Centre, Sandakan Rainforest Park and Gomantong Caves are worth a visit.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 43 hotels and other accommodation options to select from in Sandakan. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its family-friendly amenities and overall value.
- Sepilok Nature Resort - Our customers like the overall value and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with in-room flat-screen TVs.
- Sabah Hotel Sandakan - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 3 restaurants and an outdoor pool, along with satellite TV. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Dressing for Sandakan
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 32°C and the night-time average to be 23°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 31°C during the day and 23°C at night
- July to September averages 31°C during the day and 23°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 32°C during the day and 23°C at night
- About 3075.80 millimetres of rain falls on Sandakan each year
- Hottest months are usually December and March with an average temperature of 31°C, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 23°C