Visiting Puerto Plata
Travellers to Puerto Plata give high marks for the beaches, entertainment choices and lively bar scene. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its live music and waterfalls. Top sights in the city include Pico Isabel de Torres, Ocean World Adventure Park and Playa Dorada.
- There are 1214 hotels and other accommodation options in Puerto Plata
- The closest major airport is in Puerto Plata (POP-Gregorio Luperon Intl.), 8.8 mi (14.2 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Santiago (STI-Cibao Intl.), 27.9 mi (44.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Puerto Plata
Well known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include Amber Museum, Museum of Taino Art and Malecón De Puerto Plata. Attractions like Ocean World Adventure Park, Puerto Plata Cable Car and Fun City are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Pico Isabel de Torres, Isabel De Torres National Park and Estatua de Gregorio Luperon.
In Sosua, there are 1214 hotels and other accommodation options so you can easily plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Millennium Resort & Spa - This 4-star resort features a full-service spa, free breakfast and a restaurant. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and pool.
- Ocean Manor Resort Cabarete Dominican Republic - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 2 outdoor pools and a restaurant, along with a private balcony.
- Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Other favourite sights in Puerto Plata include Playa Dorada, Sosua Beach and Cofresi Beach. One of the top places to see outside the city is Fort San Felipe, located 0.5 mi (0.8 km) from the city centre.
Dressing for Puerto Plata
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 32°C during the day and 20°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 34°C, whilst the average at night is 22°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 34°C with night-time averages of 24°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 33°C and night-time averages of 20°C
- About 1169.40 millimetres of rain falls on Puerto Plata each year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 34°C, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 20°C