Visiting Orkney Islands
Visitors can enjoy all that Orkney Islands has to offer including the monuments, archaeological sites and waterfront. Top sights in the city include Skara Brae and North Sea.
- There are 38 hotels and other accommodation options in Orkney Islands
- The closest major airport is in Kirkwall (KOI), 10.4 mi (16.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Wick (WIC), 45.7 mi (73.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Orkney Islands
Cultural venues in the city include Scapa Flow Visitor Centre, Orkney Wireless Museum and Orkney Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Skara Brae, Balfour Castle and St. Magnus Cathedral. The city's natural beauty is on display at North Sea, North Ronaldsay Bird Observatory and Old Man of Hoy.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 38 hotels and other lodging options available to select from in Orkney Islands. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- HammerSmith - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, free WiFi and free parking. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and central location.
- Albert Hotel - Our customers like the bar and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- The Inn Guest House - With a stay at this 3-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its quiet location and helpful staff.
Dressing for Orkney Islands
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 8°C and the night-time average to be 2°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 15°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September averages 16°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 12°C during the day and 2°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Orkney Islands is 27 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 15°C, while the coldest months are February and March with an average of 2°C