Visiting Kota Kinabalu
Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Kota Kinabalu, and visitors give high marks for the bustling marina and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its parks. Top sights in the city include Imago Shopping Mall, Sabah State Mosque and Likas Stadium.
- There are 416 hotels and other accommodation options in Kota Kinabalu
- The closest major airport is in Kota Kinabalu (BKI-Kota Kinabalu Intl.), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Kota Kinabalu
Cultural venues in the city include Sabah State Museum, Mari Mari Cultural Village and Museum of Islamic Civilisation. Attractions like Lok Kawi Wildlife Park, Sedco Square and Water World Theme Park are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Sabah State Mosque, Kota Kinabalu City Mosque and Mount Kinabalu Park Entrance.
In Kinarut, there are 416 hotels and other accommodation options so you can easily plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort & Spa - This 5-star resort features 2 outdoor pools, a private beach and 6 restaurants. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Gaya Island Resort - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this resort. With a stay at this 5-star resort, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with a private balcony.
- SKYPOD Hostel - With a stay at this 2-star hostel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and quiet location.
Other favourite sights in Kota Kinabalu include Imago Shopping Mall, Likas Stadium and 1Borneo Hypermall.
Getting around Kota Kinabalu
With so many ways to get around, exploring all of Kota Kinabalu is a breeze. To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Tanjung Aru Station. You can find out about your water travel options at the local marina.
Dressing for Kota Kinabalu
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 31°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 24°C
- From April to June, the average is 32°C during the day and 24°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 31°C during the day and 24°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 31°C as the daytime average and 24°C as the night-time average
- Kota Kinabalu gets about 93 millimetres of rain per year
- April and May are usually the hottest months averaging 31°C, while June and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 24°C