Visiting Port Stephens
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Port Stephens, and visitors give high marks for the beaches and relaxing spas. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its relaxing setting. Top sights in the city include Dutchies Beach and Tomaree National Park.
- There are 1836 hotels and other accommodation options in Port Stephens
- The closest major airport is in Newcastle, NSW (NTL-Williamtown), 14 mi (22.5 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Port Stephens
The city is notable for landmarks like Tea Gardens-Hawks Nest Bridge, Mount Tomaree and Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Dutchies Beach, Tomaree National Park and Winda Woppa Reserve. Top activities include exploring the waterfront and whale watching, while Soldiers Point Marina, Port Stephens and d'Albora Marinas Nelson Bay are favourite sights to visit.
In Shoal Bay, you can choose from 1836 hotels and other accommodation options to make it easy to plan your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hawks Nest Motel - With a stay at this 3.5-star motel, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its pool and clean, quiet rooms.
- Lemon Tree Passage Motel - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean rooms at this motel. With a stay at this 3-star motel, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Bannisters Port Stephens - This 4-star hotel features 3 restaurants, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and bar.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Nobbys Head Beach, located 21.4 mi (34.4 km) from the city centre, and Newcastle Beach, which is 22.2 mi (35.8 km) away.
Dressing for Port Stephens
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 27°C and the night-time average to be 16°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 24°C during the day and 8°C at night
- July to September averages 22°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 27°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Port Stephens is 961.40 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually January and February with an average temperature of 27°C, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 8°C