Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
You could be seeing lower prices
Reviewed on 12 Aug 2020
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Lugano, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, lakeside setting and top-notch restaurants. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cafes and museums. Top sights around the area include Lake Lugano, Villa del Balbianello and Sacred Mountain of the Rosary.
- There are 190 hotels and other accommodation options in Lugano
- The closest major airport is in Lugano (LUG-Agno), 2.1 mi (3.4 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Milan (MXP-Malpensa Intl.), 28.4 mi (45.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Lugano
Cultural venues in the city include LAC Lugano Arte e Cultura, Cantonal Art Museum and MASILugano Museum of Art of Italian Switzerland. The city is notable for landmarks like Piazza della Riforma, San Lorenzo Cathedral and Funicolare Monte Brè - Cassarate Station. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakes and these places to visit: Lake Lugano, Parco Ciani and Monte San Salvatore.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include Villa del Balbianello, 12.1 mi/19.5 km from the heart of the city, and Sacred Mountain of the Rosary, which is 12.5 mi/20.1 km away.
Getting around Lugano
With so many choices for transport, exploring Lugano is simple. Make your way to Lugano Funicular Station to catch the metro. To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Lugano Station.
Dressing for Lugano
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 14°C during the day and 0°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 25°C, whilst the average at night is 7°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 27°C with night-time averages of 12°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 19°C and night-time averages of 1°C
- Lugano gets about 26 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 26°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 1°C
Frequently asked questions
What's the best place to stay in Lugano?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Lugano, will I receive a refund?
What's the best place to stay on a budget in Lugano?
What's the best hotel for families in Lugano?
What's the best hotel for a romantic getaway to Lugano?
What's the best pet-friendly hotel in Lugano?
What are some accommodation options with pools in Lugano?
What is the best spa hotel in Lugano?
What's it like to stay in Lugano?
What should I do while I'm visiting Lugano?
How can I get around Lugano?
What's the weather like in Lugano?
Lugano Hotel Reviews
More trip options
- Hotels in Lugano by Star Rating
- Hotels near Lugano Airports
- Areas of Lugano
- Accommodation near Lugano Attractions
- More accommodation types in Lugano
- Choose Your Lugano Hotel Style
- Search Lugano Hotel Brands
- Most Popular Hotels in Lugano
- Hotels Near Lugano, Canton of Ticino
- Hotel Deals in Other Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends