Search Hotels in Christchurch
Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Reviewed on 15 Jun 2020
Where to stay in Christchurch
4.5/5Wonderful!(28 area reviews)
Riccarton is beloved for its popular shops. Take some time to explore sights in the area like Westfield Riccarton Mall and Riccarton Road.
You'll enjoy the restaurants and gardens in Woolston. You might want to make time for a stop at The Tannery or Avon Heathcote Estuary.
You'll enjoy the parks and shopping in Linwood. You might want to make time for a stop at Wilding Park or Eastgate Mall.
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Christchurch, and visitors give high marks for the beautiful gardens, fascinating museums and local tours. This city also attracts tourists with its cafes, restaurants and cathedrals. Top sights in the city include Canterbury Museum, Riccarton House and New Brighton Beach.
- There are 501 hotels and other accommodation options in Christchurch
- The closest major airport is in Christchurch (CHC-Christchurch Intl.), 5.7 mi (9.2 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Christchurch
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Canterbury Museum, International Antarctic Centre and Air Force Museum of New Zealand. Families come for attractions such as Christchurch Gondola, Christchurch Adventure Park and Orana Wildlife Park. The city is notable for its cathedrals and landmarks like Riccarton House, Cathedral Square, and Bridge of Remembrance.
Other favourite sights in Christchurch include New Brighton Beach, Lyttelton Harbour and Christchurch Casino.
Getting around Christchurch
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Christchurch Railway Station or Rolleston Station. Christchurch might not have as many public transport options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Christchurch
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 21°C during the day and 9°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 18°C, whilst the average at night is 2°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 15°C with night-time averages of 2°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 21°C and night-time averages of 6°C
- Christchurch gets about 36 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually January and December are the hottest months with an average of 21°C, whereas July and August are often coldest, averaging 2°C
Frequently asked questions
What's the best place to stay in Christchurch?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Christchurch, will I receive a refund?
What's the best accommodation for a budget-friendly stay in Christchurch?
What's the best hotel for a family holiday in Christchurch?
What's the best hotel for a romantic holiday to Christchurch?
What's the best pet-friendly place to stay in Christchurch?
What's the best place to stay for a beach holiday in Christchurch?
What's the best high-end place to stay in Christchurch?
What's the best boutique-style accommodation in Christchurch?
What's the best golf hotel in Christchurch?
What are some accommodation options with pools in Christchurch?
Christchurch Hotel Reviews
More trip options
- Hotels in Christchurch by Star Rating
- Hotels near Christchurch Airports
- Areas of Christchurch
- Accommodation near Christchurch Attractions
- More accommodation types in Christchurch
- Choose Your Christchurch Hotel Style
- Search Christchurch Hotel Brands
- Most Popular Hotels in Christchurch
- Hotels Near Christchurch, Canterbury
- Hotel Deals in Other Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends