Visitors to Berchtesgaden are sure to enjoy the mountain views. Tourists can also enjoy the city's lakeside setting, local tours and ski areas. Around the area, top sights include Eagle's Nest, Hellbrunn Palace and Fortress Hohensalzburg.
- There are 38 hotels and other accommodation options in Berchtesgaden
- The closest major airport is in Salzburg (SZG-W.A. Mozart), 10.4 mi (16.7 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Berchtesgaden
The city's cultural venues include Salt Mine Berchtesgaden and Haus der Berge. Additionally, you might want to add Eagle's Nest to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 38 hotels and other accommodation options to select from in Berchtesgaden. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Alpinhotel Berchtesgaden - This 3-star hotel features ski slopes, free breakfast and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its helpful staff and room size.
- Alpenhotel Fischer - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant and an indoor pool.
- Kempinski Hotel Berchtesgaden - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Hellbrunn Palace, 8.3 mi/13.4 km from the heart of the city, and Fortress Hohensalzburg, which is 10.6 mi/17.1 km away.
Getting around Berchtesgaden
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Berchtesgaden Central Station. Berchtesgaden might not have many public transport options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Berchtesgaden
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 12°C and the night-time average to be -3°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 23°C during the day and 3°C at night
- July to September averages 24°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 17°C during the day and -3°C at night
- Berchtesgaden gets about 26 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 23°C, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of -3°C