Visiting Viana do Castelo
Visitors to Viana do Castelo are sure to enjoy the cathedrals. Tourists can also enjoy the city's museums, monuments and waterfront.
- There are 118 hotels and other accommodation options in Viana do Castelo
- The closest major airport is in Porto (OPO-Dr. Francisco de Sa Carneiro), 32.6 mi (52.5 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Vigo (VGO-Peinador), 38.1 mi (61.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Viana do Castelo
The city is notable for its cathedrals and landmarks like Sanctuary of Santa Luzia, Church of Santa Marta de Portuzelo, and Castelo de Santiago da Barra. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Cabedelo Beach and Chapel of Santa Tecla.
Top places to visit in the area include Braga Cathedral (Se Braga), located 23 mi (36.9 km) from the city centre, and Archbishop's Palace, which is 23 mi (37 km) away.
Getting around Viana do Castelo
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Viana do Castelo Station. Viana do Castelo might not have many public transport options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Viana do Castelo
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 17°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 4°C
- From April to June, the average is 24°C during the day and 8°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 25°C during the day and 12°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 22°C as the daytime average and 5°C as the night-time average
- Viana do Castelo gets about 1270 millimetres of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 24°C, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 5°C