Travellers give high marks for the beaches in Hokitika, which is also known for its glaciers. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its aquarium.
- There are 21 hotels and other accommodation options in Hokitika
- The closest major airport is in Hokitika (HKK), 6.1 mi (9.8 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Hokitika
The city is notable for landmarks like Hokitika Clock Tower, Hokitika Lighthouse and Sunset Point. The beaches, sunsets and glaciers highlight the city's natural beauty, and Lake Kaniere, Hokitika Beach and Westcoast Treetop Walk are worth a visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are National Kiwi Centre and Hokitika Museum.
As you plan your holiday, you'll find 21 hotels and other accommodation options to select from in Hokitika. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Fitzherbert Court Motel - With a stay at this 4-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a spa tub, along with a private spa tub. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Bella Vista Hokitika - Our customers like the beach locale and convenient parking at this motel. With a stay at this 4-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a free airport shuttle, along with free WiFi.
- Heritage Highway Motel - This 2.5-star motel features free WiFi, free parking and laundry facilities. Expedia customers like its pool and proximity to shopping.
A top sight outside the city is Lake Brunner, 23.4 mi/37.7 km from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Hokitika
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 21°C and the night-time average to be 9°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 18°C during the day and 2°C at night
- July to September averages 15°C during the day and 2°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 21°C during the day and 6°C at night
- Hokitika gets about 36 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually January and December with an average temperature of 21°C, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 2°C