Visitors to Groningen are sure to enjoy the gardens. Tourists can also enjoy the city's museums, theatres and entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Grote Markt and Groninger Museum.
- There are 39 hotels and other accommodation options in Groningen
- The closest major airport is in Groningen (GRQ-Eelde), 6.2 mi (10 km) from the city centre
Sightseeing and Staying in Groningen
Cultural venues in the city include Groninger Museum, Visual Arts Centre and De Oosterpoort. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Grote Markt, Vismarkt, and Martinikerk. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the gardens and Prinsenhof Gardens.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 39 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Groningen. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hotel Prinsenhof - Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Binnenstad-Noord can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and a bar, along with a free stocked minibar. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Van der Valk Hotel Groningen-Hoogkerk - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and dining options at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi and free parking.
- Hotel Miss Blanche - Guests who stay at this 3.5-star hotel in Binnenstad-Zuid can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and 2 bars, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and helpful staff.
One of the popular sights outside the city is TT Circuit Assen, 17.9 mi/28.7 km from the city centre.
Getting around Groningen
If you want to journey outside the area, ride aboard a train from Groningen Station, Groningen Noord Station or Groningen Europapark Station. Groningen might not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Groningen
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 10°C during the day and -1°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 20°C, whilst the average at night is 3°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 22°C with night-time averages of 8°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 16°C and night-time averages of 1°C
- Average annual rainfall for Groningen is 785.80 millimetres
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 21°C, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 0°C