Visiting Coromandel Peninsula
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Coromandel Peninsula, and visitors give high marks for the beaches. Tourists can also enjoy the city's forests and ecotours. Top sights in the city include Cathedral Cove, Cooks Beach and Hahei Beach.
- There are 441 hotels and other accommodation options in Coromandel Peninsula
- The closest major airport is in Great Barrier Island (GBZ), 44.2 mi (71.1 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Auckland (AKL-Auckland Intl.), 48.7 mi (78.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Coromandel Peninsula
Cultural venues in the city include Mercury Bay Museum, Coromandel Goldfields Centre & Stamper Battery and Thames Historical Museum. Attractions like Lost Spring Thermal Pools and Driving Creek Railway are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for landmarks like Cathedral Cove, Shakespeare Cliff Lookout and Burke Street Wharf.
In Coromandel Forest Park, you can choose from 441 accommodation choices and hotels so you can easily organise your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Pipi Dune Bed & Breakfast - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its breakfast and quiet location.
- Andreas Bed & Breakfast - Our customers love the WiFi and spacious, clean rooms at this B&B. This 4-star bed & breakfast features free WiFi, free parking and a terrace.
- Hahei Bed & Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and room size.
Other favourite sights in Coromandel Peninsula include Cooks Beach, Hahei Beach and Hot Water Beach. In the surrounding area, popular places to visit include Whangamata Beach, 27.5 mi/44.2 km from the heart of the city, and Miranda Hot Springs, which is 29.4 mi (47.3 km) away.
Dressing for Coromandel Peninsula
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 23°C during the day and 14°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 20°C, whilst the average at night is 8°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 16°C with night-time averages of 8°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of 10°C
- About 1247.10 millimetres of rain falls on Coromandel Peninsula each year
- Usually January and February are the hottest months with an average of 22°C, whereas July and August are often coldest, averaging 8°C