History buffs will enjoy exploring Ballarat, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the museums. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its art, gardens and lakeside setting. A top sight in the city is Sovereign Hill.
- There are 84 hotels and other accommodation options in Ballarat
- The closest major airport is in Melbourne, VIC (AVV-Avalon), 46.4 mi (74.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Melbourne, VIC (MEL-Tullamarine), 54.6 mi (87.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Ballarat
The city is well known for its museums and art, and cultural venues include Art Gallery of Ballarat and Gold Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Sovereign Hill, Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka, and St Patrick's Cathedral. The city's gardens and lakes provide a picturesque setting and places to visit include Lake Esmond Botanical Garden.
In Golden Point, you can choose from 84 accommodation choices and hotels to make it easy to plan your holiday getaway at an affordable rate. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Craig's Royal Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Comfort Inn & Suites City Views - Our customers like the central location and helpful staff at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free WiFi, free parking and laundry facilities.
- Victoriana Motor Inn - This 3.5-star motel features free WiFi, free parking and laundry facilities. Expedia customers like its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
Getting around Ballarat
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Ballarat Station. Ballarat may not have many public transport options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Ballarat
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 25°C and the night-time average to be 10°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 20°C during the day and 5°C at night
- July to September averages 17°C during the day and 5°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 23°C during the day and 7°C at night
- Ballarat gets about 20 millimetres of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 24°C, while the coldest months are July and June with an average of 5°C