Travellers to Athens give high marks for the university vibe, fun sporting events and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its live music, theatres and entertainment. Top sights in the city include Classic Center and Sanford Stadium.
- There are 139 hotels and other accommodation options in Athens
- The closest major airport is in Athens, GA (AHN-Ben Epps), 3 mi (4.8 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Atlanta, GA (PDK-DeKalb-Peachtree), 53.4 mi (85.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Athens
The city is well known for its live music and theatres, and cultural venues include Classic Center, 40 Watt Club and Georgia Museum of Art. The city is notable for landmarks like Taylor-Grady House, T.R.R. Cobb House and North Broad Street Residential Historic District. The city's natural beauty is on display at State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Fort Yargo State Park and Sandy Creek Park.
In Monroe, you can choose from 139 hotels and other accommodation choices to make planning easier for your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Athens Downtown/University Area - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour fitness centre, along with free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its central location and helpful staff.
- Hyatt Place Athens/Downtown - Our customers like the beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a 24-hour fitness centre, along with free WiFi.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Athens West - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Athens include Sanford Stadium.
Dressing for Athens
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 21°C, whilst night-time temperatures stay around 0°C
- From April to June, the average is 33°C during the day and 8°C at night
- July to September sees average temperatures of 33°C during the day and 14°C at night
- Between October and December, you can expect 26°C as the daytime average and 1°C as the night-time average
- Average annual rainfall for Athens is 1176.80 millimetres
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 32°C, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 1°C