History buffs will enjoy exploring Vilnius, and visitors give high marks for the cathedral and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its museums and cafes. Top sights in the city include Vilnius Town Hall, Town Hall Square and Gates of Dawn.
- There are 182 hotels and other accommodation options in Vilnius
- The closest major airport is in Vilnius (VNO-Vilnius Intl.), 2.4 mi (3.9 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Kaunas (KUN-Kaunas Intl.), 52.3 mi (84.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Vilnius
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include National Museum of Lithuania, Lithuanian National Opera and Ballet Theatre and Museum of Genocide Victims. Its historic sites and cathedrals are notable and landmarks include Town Hall Square, Gates of Dawn and Vilnius Cathedral. The picturesque setting of Gediminas Tower and Ungurys Lake exemplify the city's natural beauty.
In Nemėžis, you can choose from 182 hotels and other accommodation choices so you can easily plan your perfect holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Grand Hotel Kempinski Vilnius - This 5-star hotel in Senamiestis features a full-service spa, free breakfast and a restaurant. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its dining options and central location.
- Artagonist Art Hotel - Our customers like the central location and clean, quiet rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Senamiestis can enjoy access to a restaurant and a bar, along with free WiFi.
- Esperanza Resort - This 5-star hotel features a winery, a full-service spa and a private beach. Expedia customers like its breakfast and pool.
Other favourite sights in Vilnius include Vilnius Town Hall, St. Peter and St. Paul's Church and Kaunas Castle.
Getting around Vilnius
If you want to explore the larger area, hop on a train at Vilnius Station. Vilnius may not have many public transport choices so consider a car rental to maximise your time.
Dressing for Vilnius
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 7°C during the day and -8°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 22°C, whilst the average at night is 0°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 23°C with night-time averages of 6°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 13°C and night-time averages of -5°C
- About 640 millimetres of rain falls on Vilnius each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 22°C, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging -6°C