Families will find kid-friendly activities in Ruidoso, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, ski areas and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its casinos.
- There are 762 hotels and other accommodation options in Ruidoso
- The closest major airport is in Ruidoso, NM (RUI-Sierra Blanca Regional), 12.3 mi (19.7 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Alamogordo, NM (ALM-White Sands Regional), 38.6 mi (62.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Ruidoso
Cultural venues in the city include Hubbard Museum of the American West, Gallery 408 and Smokey Bear Museum and Gift Shop. The mountains and forests highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Bonito Lake, Smokey Bear Historical Park and Valley of Fires Recreation Area. Top activities include skiing and horse riding, while The Links at Sierra Blanca, Ruidoso Downs Racetrack and Cree Medows Public Golf Course are favourite sights to visit.
In Alto, there are 762 hotels and other accommodation choices to make it easy to plan your holiday retreat at an affordable rate. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool and free WiFi. It's a favourite with Expedia travellers for its pool and helpful staff.
- Sitzmark Chalet Inn - Our customers like the breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms at this lodge. This 2.5-star lodge features free WiFi, free parking and a sauna.
- Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins - With a stay at this 3.5-star lodge, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a spa tub, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Dressing for Ruidoso
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 16°C during the day and -6°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 28°C, whilst the average at night is -1°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 28°C with night-time averages of 5°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 22°C and night-time averages of -6°C
- Ruidoso gets about 555 millimetres of rain per year
- Usually June and July are the hottest months with an average of 27°C, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging -5°C